E-Edition | The Peach List | Shopper | Observer/Advocate

News and Sports from Windom, MN and surrounding areas | Windom, MN

weather sponsored by

Advanced Search
search sponsored by

Reader Poll
Do you agree with President Obama telling schools they must let transgender students use the bathroom that matches their identity?

Please select one:

View Results

The Dish
Help Wanted
Area Churches
Area Sports Schedule
Windom Schools
Social Scene
Citizen Photos
Community Calendar
Cottonwood County Sheriff

home : news : this week's news May 24, 2016

4/10/2013 3:06:00 PM
County official: Use great caution on roads and on foot

Cottonwood County Emergency Management Director Kim Hall stresses that area residents should use great caution as they travel, or just simply outside for other reasons.

"Try to stay away from trees at this time," Hall said. "You never know when a branch may get too much ice or snow on it and fall down. It is a potentially dangerous situation.

"If your house has a lot of trees around it, I would suggest staying away from windows. Again, you never know when something could happen."

Apparently, residents have been very careful on the area roadways. Cottonwood County Sheriff Jason Purrington reported no accidents on area county or state roads as a result of the ice storm. However, one car went in the ditch along Highway 60, Purrington said.

Hall said that residents who lose power could also spend some time without power. Rural residents who lose power should contact South Central Electric at 888-805-7232, or 507-375-3164. Residents who live in Windom should call the city electric department at 831-6151, or the Windom Police Department at 831-6134.

After contacting the power company, if the resident learns that the power will be out for a long period of time, Hall recommends contacting a friend or authorities to find a warm place to spend the night.

"We have the capability to open a shelter," Hall said. "It depends on where the outage is at, but we could have one in Mt. Lake, Windom, Westbrook, Storden or Jeffers. If you need a place to stay, contact the Sheriff's Office (507-831-1375). We also have contact numbers for the Red Cross, if needed."

Hall also suggested that residents check on their home emergency kits. Each kit ought to have flashlights, batteries, a radio and other items available in case the power goes out.


ObituariesClassifiedsOpinionColumnsThe DishLegalsContact UsHelp WantedAuctionsCitizen PhotosWedding Planner

Birth, Engagement & Wedding Announcement Forms | Area Classified Ads | Current News | Life


Copyright © 2016 Citizen Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. 
P.O. Box 309, Windom, MN 56101 507-831-3455


Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved